REVISED 4:36PM, 12/17/2018
I have been traveling and living abroad for five out of the past six years! Go me! I’m living my dream. I’m currently working as an English Teacher in Malaga, Spain.
Here are my goals while I’m here:
- Spread joy and positivity to all of my students – I work children and adults – and inspire them to love learning English
- Learn Spanish. I’m currently in a B1 Spanish class (that’s an intermediate level) twice a week which I’m happy about. Quiero mejorar mi español mucho este año. Ojala antes del fin de año voy a escribir mas en español aqui.
- Make a lot of friends and speak Spanish every day. This is working well because I live with a Spanish woman and another lady from Cuba!
- Travel in Spain and neighboring countries as much as possible! But also stay grounded in my beautiful apartment. (Come visit!)
- Stay healthy
- A plant-based diet (99 percent vegan with no guilt for cruelty-free eggs in emergencies)
- Sweat 4-6 times per week and keep my routine of varied work-outs, alternating between cardio sports and strength training. I want to do a pull up by the end of the year! I’m on an ultimate frisbee team that practices twice a week, and I’ve also found salsa dancing, swing dancing, and I have a gym membership.
- Walk at least 15,000 steps every day and continue to commute to work by either walking or biking (unless its raining!)
5 Year Plan:
- Live and work in Malaga, Spain for the next 2 years to improve my Spanish and help others learn English, eat vegan, live healthy joyful lives, or whatever else I can share with others. (Possibly 2017 – 2020)
- Volunteer and travel in Europe (maybe next summer!). Visit friends in Germany, France, Holland, Finland, Estonia, England, Ireland…
- Do via ferratas with my dad every summer for 2 weeks
- Visit my sister in Washington DC for at least 2 weeks a year, and go home to Santa Barbara for one month every summer
- Teach English in South Korea. I heard Korea has a similar program to the one I did in Japan (JET) that pays for your airfare and accommodation. I think I have more to learn from Asia. (Possibly 2020-2022)
- Learn Spanish and live in South America. Visit friends, volunteer, teach English, travel alone, visit Patagonia, sustainable communities. (possibly 2022-2024)
Other things I would like to do someday:
- Do a road trip across the USA, stopping to car camp, hike, and rock climb
- Do a multi-pitch climb in Yosemite or somewhere equally inspiring.
- Do a big hike in the USA, possibly the Pacific Crest Trail or Appalachian Trail
- Go busking and sell my own CD!
- Travel in China for 6 months or a year. Yangshuo, Guilin, Tibet. Visit Mongolia, Trans Siberian Railway.
- Learn yoga and meditation in India at the Sivananda Ashram, trek with my dad in Nepal
- GO TO BURNING MAN
General Knowledge I Would Like to Learn:
1. How to make balloon animals (I’m not kidding)
2. Nutrition, healthy eating, recipes, cooking, veganism, raw food, etc.
3. Meditation, breathing, yoga, relaxation techniques, etc.
4. Any kind of healing art: massage, reiki, chiropractic, reflexology…
5. ANY LANGUAGE but first focus on Japanese and Spanish
6. Graphic design, website design, HTML coding
7. How to start a non-profit, grant writing
8. Business, finance, etc
9. Hula hoop tricks
What I’ve Already Accomplished (in no particular order. Click the links to see photos.)
1. Did a solo motorcycle trip in Taiwan
2. Done some epic multi-day hikes in New Zealand – the Routeburn, Greenstone Caples, Mount Aspiring, Stewart Island
3. Visited the house that my great grandmother grew up in
4. Graduated from university – and had a great time doing it!
5. Kayaked and rock-climbed in Vietnam
6. Volunteered to teach English twice in Southeast Asia – Cambodia and Indonesia
7. Traveled with my mom in Australia and Thailand
8. Went on a road trip with some awesome people in New Zealand
9. Was part of an amazing ultimate frisbee team in Santa Cruz
10. Went skydiving in Northland, New Zealand – see the video!
11. Partied with my friend Sajira in Manila, the Philippines
12. Lived at a raw food detox retreat in the Philippines
13. Studied Thai Massage for 12 days in a tiny village near Chiang Mai
14. Taught English for two years in rural Japan – Echizen-shi, Fukui Prefecture
15. Taught English in a pueblo called Almendralejo, Spain for two years
I CAN MANIFEST MY GOALS AND DREAMS.