Here is some funny Australian slang I’ve picked up. Most of these are thanks to John Sargent, my long lost cousin from Hobart, Tasmania. Can you think of any more?
Lazy yet cute abbreviations for everyday things (they do this in New Zealand too)
- brekkie: breakfast
- smoko: breaktime (not everyone smokes though!)
- Maccas: McDonalds
- bikkie: cookie
- sunnies: sunglasses
- tea: dinner (this one irks me because they don’t even drink tea at dinnertime!)
- pav: pavlova (a fluffy dessert with egg whites and powdered sugar
Another theme: pissing
- on the piss: drinking
- pissed: drunk
- fairy’s piss: a misty day
- pissing down: raining hard
Common ones you hear everyday:
- ta: thank you
- blokes: men
- good on you: well done
- harya garn: funny greeting, sounds like ‘how are you going’
- dag: the poopy end of a sheep’s butt
- Make hay while the sun still shines: Take advantage of the opportunity
- Their ears must be burning: Talking about someone who isn’t present
- Keep taking your tablets: Say to someone who is saying something over the top
- He doesn’t let the grass grow under his feet: He’s a hard worker!
- The sights you see when you haven’t got a gun!: Look who’s showed up!
4 thoughts on “Australian Slang”
Did you see the postie’s pushbike outside the caf there? Meant to be working, isn’t he, not enjoying a sammie and a flat white.
The sights you see when you haven’t got a gun!: Look who’s showed up!
And fairy’s piss
Pingback: littlegirlstory recommended MUST READ posts | littlegirlstory
I have recommended your post in littlegirlstory MUST READ post. 🙂